You’ve probably heard all your life that brushing and flossing will prevent tooth decay. At Redwood Canyon Dentistry, we see patients all the time who wonder about reversing the damage already done to their teeth. While there’s no way for you to turn back time on tooth decay, there are ways to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Castro Valley Dentist Talks Tooth Decay Prevention
Keeping your teeth free from decay is a lifetime job, but one that takes only a few minutes each day. Our Castro Valley dentist team recommends these steps as a standard for your care every day:
- Brush, floss, and rinse with mouthwash twice each day
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and rinse
- If you chew gum, use a sugarless flavor. This actually has dental benefits, as chewing sugarless gum can help clean your teeth
- Try a prescription antibacterial mouthwash. This can help by killing the bacterial in your mouth that are associated with tooth decay.
- See your dentist once a year for a thorough cleaning and other necessary dental care
Besides these basic rules, you can make some simple lifestyle changes to help even more in your quest for healthy teeth. Drink water more than any other beverage. Eat nutritious meals with very little sugar, and limit the amount of carbohydrates you consume in a day. Change your toothbrush every three months, but if you’ve had a cold or flu, change it even sooner. If you have acid reflux disease, chew antacids to reduce the amount of acid in your mouth, which can erode your teeth, creating tooth wear.
Looking for a Family Dentist in Castro Valley?
Keeping your teeth strong and healthy is a job that lasts a lifetime, but our team here is ready to help. If you haven’t been to the dentist in at least a year, it’s time for your next checkup. Give our office a call at 510-581-1991 to schedule an appointment today.